Ronnie James Dio in a new album, entitled "This is Your Life," which will be released on April 1st.An all-star collection of hard rock and heavy metal artists are paying tribute to the carrier of metal legend Ronnie James Dio in a new album, entitled "This is Your Life," which will be released on April 1st.
The collection covers tracks from Ronnie's career in Dio, Rainbow and Black Sabbath and features contributes from Metallica, Motorhead with Saxon's Biff Byford, Slipknot's Corey Taylor, Anthrax, Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford, Scorpions, Halestorm, Adrenaline Mob, Glenn Hughes, Killswitch Engage, some of Dio's former bandmates and more.
The album was produced by Dio's wife and manager Wendy Dio and some of the money raised from the collection will towards the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund.
We were sent these details: Ronnie's time with Rainbow will be covered by Metallica's epic, nine-minute "Ronnie Rising Medley," which combines the Rainbow songs "A Light In The Black," "Tarot Woman," "Stargazer," and "Kill The King." Scorpions add a scorching take on "The Temple Of The King" while Motörhead is joined by Biff Byford from Saxon on "Starstruck." Rob Halford teams with frequent Dio collaborators Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, and Scott Warren for "The Man On The Silver Mountain." The final line-up of Dio's solo band - Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo and Scott Warren - are joined by Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath) for "Catch The Rainbow," a track from Rainbow's 1975 debut.
Anthrax and Adrenaline Mob honor Dio's time with Black Sabbath with their takes on "Neon Knights" and "The Mob Rules" respectively, as does a group, led by Oni Logan on vocals along with Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson, and Brian Tichy, which performs "I" from Dehumanizer.
The album also features material from Dio's back-to-back platinum albums Holy Diver (1983) and The Last In Line (1984), with Doro's take on "Egypt (The Chains Are On)", Halestorm tackling "Straight Through The Heart," Corey Taylor (Stone Sour, Slipknot) covering the classic "Rainbow In The Dark" and Tenacious D (Jack Black and Kyle Glass) putting their signature spin on "The Last In Line." Killswitch Engage's cover of "Holy Diver," a hit in its own right when released in 2006, is also included here.
Fittingly, Ronnie James Dio provides the finale (and the album's title) with his moving performance of "This Is Your Life." Originally released on Angry Machines (1996), the song's lyrics explore mortality and are backed by a stark and beautiful arrangement that features Dio accompanied only by his longtime keyboardist Scott Warren on piano. The song serves as a poignant reminder that we will never hear a voice like Dio's again.
1. "Neon Knights" - Anthrax*
2. "The Last In Line" - Tenacious D*
3. "The Mob Rules" - Adrenaline Mob
4. "Rainbow In The Dark" - Corey Taylor, Roy Mayorga, Satchel, Christian Martucci, Jason Christopher*
5. "Straight Through The Heart" - Halestorm*
6. "Starstruck" - Motörhead with Biff Byford*
7. "The Temple Of The King" - Scorpions*
8. "Egypt (The Chains Are On)" - Doro
9. "Holy Diver" - Killswitch Engage
10. "Catch The Rainbow" - Glenn Hughes, Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo, Scott Warren*
11. "I" - Oni Logan, Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson, Brian Tichy*
12. "Man On The Silver Mountain" - Rob Halford, Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, Scott Warren*
13. "Ronnie Rising Medley (Featuring A Light In The Black, Tarot Woman, Stargazer, Kill The King)" - Metallica*
14. "This Is Your Life" - Dio